Photo: Mark Metcalfe/Getty Images

Courtney Barnett, “Nameless, Faceless”

Last week when Courtney Barnett dropped “Nameless, Faceless,” the first track from her upcoming album, Tell Me How You Really Feel, it turned out to be exactly what I didn’t know I wanted to hear. The Aussie’s sardonic address to internet trolls is delivered in her signature chill, witty style but with an added bite that seems to be indicative of the album as a whole. Although the verses find Barnett feeling “sorry” for the wankers (“Must be lonely, being angry / Feeling overlooked”), the chorus is markedly heavier, with Barnett invoking a Margaret Atwood quote as she expresses an everyday terror for women: “I want to walk through the park in the dark / Men are scared that women will laugh at them / I want to walk through the park in the dark / Women are scared that men will kill them / I hold my keys between my fingers.” And as if those jagged guitar riffs weren’t badass enough, the song’s Breeders-esque backing vocals are performed by none other than Kim Deal herself. [Kelsey J. Waite]